Cook Time: 20 mins
Special Notes: These creamy coconut balls are simply to die for. A lot of work but definitely worth the trouble.
|Star Piping tip|
|Parchment paper or Silpat|
|Ingredients||4-6 Balls||20-30 balls|
|Egg||12,5 (< 1tbsp)||1 (50ml)|
|Corn Starch||5gr (1 tsp)||20gr (1 tbsp)|
|Sugar||17.5gr (1 tbsp)||70gr (3,5tbsp)|
|Vanilla||1 tsp||½ Tbsp|
|Sugar||17.5gr (1 tbsp)||70 gr (3.5 tbsp)|
|Egg||12,5 (< 1tbsp)||1 (50 ml)|
|Honey||6ml (1 tsp)||25 ml (1.5 tbsp)|
|Coconut Syrup||1 tsp||½ tbsp|
|Coconut shavings||50gr (2.5 tbsp)||200gr|
- Prepare the baking tray with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat (Silpat).
- Prepare the piping bag with the piping tip inserted.
- Heat the milk to 80º maximum on a medium to low flame.
- While the milk is warming, place the remaining ingredients into a bowl and mix.
- Once the milk reaches between 70-80º, pour into the bowl with the other ingredients and mix vigorously using the whisk.
- Pour everything back into the sauce pan and heat once again using medium heat. Slowly whisk the mix until it thickens considerably (like honey) and then remove from the heat.
- Once again, vigorously whisk the mix so as to remove any lumps (minimum 30 seconds).
- Place onto the heat once again and stir slowly using the whisk allowing the mix to gently bubble/boil. This helps remove any corn starch flavor. Do this for at least 30 seconds then remove from the heat, pouring the pastry cream into a clean bowl. Allow it cool for around 5 minutes and then we add all the other ingredients EXCEPT for the coconut shavings. Mix well using a spatula ensuring that you gently fold in these ingredients.
- Add the coconut shavings then once again gently fold these into the mix.
- Turn the oven on to 160º (top, bottom with the fan).
- Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before putting the mix into a piping bag.
- Holding the piping bag vertically straight, gently squeeze and apply the mixture to the baking tray.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until golden.