Cook Time: 20 - 25 mins
Special Notes: Cook. Roll. Eat!!! Yummy, yummy.
A Mat A Pot Avocado Cream Cheese Cucumber Sprouts Nori Seasoning A Fan
Hot plate Pot with lid Measuring cups Mixing bowls Wooden spatula Bamboo sushi mat Fan
|Sushi rice||3 cups||1 cup|
|Water||3.5 cups||1.25 cups|
|Rice Vinegar||½ cup (120ml)||2.5 tbsp|
|Sugar||2 tbsp||½ tbsp.|
- Wash rice at least 4 times to remove excess starch.
- Bring rice to a boil and then cover the pot with the lid and reduce heat to low.
- Follow cooking instructions on the packet of rice, however, as a general rule, boil for between 10-12 minutes.
- Cut ingredients for the filling.
- Mix seasoning (rice vinegar, sugar and salt).
- Once the rice is cooked, leave the lid on and remove pot from heat and let sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Transfer rice from pot to preferably a wooden or plastic bowl and using folding movements gently move the rice allowing the steam to escape. Also, simultaneously you can use a paper fan to help the cooling process.
- Add the seasoning and continue to cool the rice as described above. Once at room temperature, cover the rice with a damp towel.
- Place a sheet of Nori, shiny side down on the sushi mat and add rice. Press down firmly (not too hard) and cover the entire surface of the Nori sheet leaving 2-3 centimetres from the top WITHOUT rice.
- Add the filling to the centre of the rice.
- Roll and join one edge of the rice to the other edge. Pull back firmly compressing the rice and filling slightly to give you a nice compact roll.
- Using your finger, add water to the area with no rice and continue to roll and seal. Use the sushi mat to ensure an even round shape all over.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the roll in half. Then, cut the halves in half (quarters) and then the quarters into half (8ths).
- Serve with reduced salt Soy Sauce and Wasabe.