Cook Time: 2 -3 minutes
Special Notes: Make sure that your spring roll wrappers are COLD before using.
|Frying pans for filling|
|Deep frying pan|
|Full Ingredients – 20+ spring rolls||6 spring rolls|
|Chicken breast – 500gr||100gr|
|Onion – 1 large||¼|
|Ginger – 100gr or to taste||25gr|
|Carrots – 3||1|
|Cabbage – 200gr||80gr|
|Cornstarch – 1 teaspoon||¼ tsp|
|Soy Sauce – 1 tablespoon
Rice Vinegar – 1 teaspoon
Oyster Sauce (optional) – to taste
Spring roll wrappers
Peanut, Canola or Vegetable Oil
- Make the marinade by mixing together the soy sauce, rice vinegar and cornstarch. Set aside. The cornstarch helps bind the liquids together and seals them to the meat.
- Dice the chicken with a knife or, if you have one, use a food processor to mince the meat. Marinate for minimum 10 minutes using the above mix (marinade).
- Cut the onion and ginger into strips and then small squares. Set aside.
- Grate the carrots and set aside.
- In a shallow frying pan, sauté (brown) the chicken until it is ¾ cooked. Remove and set aside.
- Fry the onion and ginger until soft then add the carrots and cabbage and fry quickly on a medium to high heat. Make sure that you continually move the ingredients to stop them from sticking and consequently burning!!!
- Add the chicken and mix all the ingredients together. Add soy sauce (and oyster if you wish) and mix. Once everything is completely cooked, remove from pan and strain any excess oil.
- Open the COLD spring roll wrappers and remove one. Cover the others with a damp towel. Turn the wrapper around so it resembles a diamond. Add some filling, roll and then fold wrapper´s outer edges so it looks like an envelope. Continue to roll and then seal the top edges with water or a mix of cornstarch and water. Once the spring roll is completed, place it onto a tray and cover with plastic to prevent it from drying out.
- Fry spring rolls in a deep frying pan at 150º for about 2-3 minutes or until golden. Strain to remove excess oil. Serve hot with your favourite Chinese dipping sauce.